ESS1-1: Develop and use a model of the Earth-sun-moon system to describe the cyclic patterns of lunar phases, eclipses of the sun and moon, and seasons
- How are the sun, Earth, and moon positioned in our solar system?
- What patterns do their positions create?
- Why does the moon change phases (shape)?
- Why is the moon sometimes eclipsed?
Resources from Class:
Station 1: Sun’s Movement Through the Sky
Station 2: Seasons
Station 3: Moon Phases
- Period 6 Group 6 video (orbit & moon’s rotation should be counterclockwise)
Station 4: Constellations
Station 5: Eclipses
- Period 3 Group 7 video
- Period 6 Group 7 video (nice model! but the moon’s orbit is VERY predictable)
- Brainpop: Seasons
- Brainpop: Solstice & Equinox
- Gizmo: Seasons in 3D
- NASA SpacePlace – What causes the seasons?
- Brainpop: Moon Phases
- Gizmo: Phases of the Moon
- Virtual Lab: Phases of the Moon
- Interactive: Lunar Phases (FLASH)
- Brainpop: Eclipse
- Gizmo: 2D Eclipse
- Interactive: Eclipses (FLASH)
- NASA SpacePlace – Solar and Lunar Eclipses