Thurgood Marshall Middle School
Roller Coaster History
- Ever wonder where roller coasters were first created? Were they primarily used for entertainment or some other need?
- Google or use the following sites to learn more:
- List some major events in roller coaster history in your notebook.
Roller Coaster Records
- Curious what the tallest coaster in the world is? The fastest? The largest drop?
- Watch: Kingda Ka Roller Coaster at Six Flags in New Jersey. It’s being tested so there are no passengers. What happens? Why do you think this happens?
- Watch: Here it is again, working this time, with a front row view.
- Watch: Would you ride this exceptionally fast coaster at Ferrari World?
- Check out these websites to find some coaster records:
- Here are some theme parks famous for their coasters.
- List some interesting roller coaster records in your notebook.
Roller Coaster Elements
- We’re not talking about the periodic table here… A roller coaster element is part of the track, often a corkscrew or flip, maybe something that makes some people want to puke.
- These are some of my favorite elements:
- Butterfly Inversion
- Cobra Roll
- Hammerhead Turn
- Heartline Roll
- Immelmann Loop
- Pretzel Loop
- Raven Turn
- Sea Serpent Roll
- Top Hat
- What do these mean? Check out these sites to learn more about them
- Label & draw some elements in your notebook.