Thurgood Marshall Middle School
- Use at least 2 tubes
- Marble must travel from the start of one track to the end cup on another track, without falling off the track
- Supplies: 2 meters masking tape, 3 foam tubes
- Time Limit: 1 block period
Directions, Drawings, & Measurements
- Obtain supplies + 1 bag with marble, plastic cup, measuring tape, stopwatch
- How long is the entire track? Measure & record the length of the tubes in METERS.
- Make the best & most creative coaster that you can
- Spread out and find a good area away from others.
- The end of the coaster should empty into the cup.
- Feel free to take pictures or video on your phone.
- Obtain & RECORD measurements
- Measure the starting top height of the marble, in other words, from the ground up to the very top where it begins it’s course.
- Time how long it takes the marble to complete the track.
- Measure each element (start height, height & width of loops, track length, drop heights, corkscrew lengths, etc.).
- Carefully remove all tape.
- Disconnect your foam pieces and band them together with the rubber band.
- Return all supplies to your teacher.
Thinking About Roller Coasters
- What did you SEE as the marble moved along the track? Be specific.
- What did you HEAR as the marble moved along the track?
- What caused the marble to accelerate and/or decelerate?
- What did you notice about the starting height of your coaster?